MicrobeMS is a Matlab-based application which can be installed in two different versions (with basically the same functionality):
- The stand-alone version requires installation of the MATLAB Compiler Runtime (MCR R2014a 64-bit).
- MicrobeMS as a Matlab pcode toolbox. For this a licensed version of Matlab will be required.
Install MicrobeMS as a stand-alone application (Windows)
MicrobeMS is Matlab based, so please verify that the MATLAB Compiler Runtime (MCR) is installed (MCR R2014a [8.3] Windows, 64-bit version). If the MCR is not installed, download the free Windows 64-bit version of the MCR for R2014a from the MathWorks website by navigating to
NOTE: To run the MCR installer administrator rights may be required. For further details please refer also to the section Specification of computer configuration.
- Login with your Windows user account and download / unzip the MicrobeMS archive microbems.v.0XX.setup.zip (see Downloading MicrobeMS)
- Start microbems.v.0XX.setup.exe and follow the instructions of the installation routine. During setup, you may be asked for the Windows administrator password.
- The license file genkey.gen is not included in the installation package. To register for a free license please send an e-mail with your name and the name of the institution you are working for to the address email@example.com
- In return, the license file genkey.gen will be emailed to you. Copy the license key into the logfile directory of MicrobeMS (version 0.82, DiaryDir, C:\Users\Public\Documents\Matlab). In case of MicrobeMS versions before v. 0.82 the license key must be copied into the HomeDir of MicrobeMS (C:\Program files\MicrobeMS\MicrobeMS, default). Note that in some instances administrator rights may be required.
Installation of MicrobeMS as a Matlab pcode toolbox (Windows / Linux)
Please note that Matlab R2014a, or newer, Matlabs's Statistics and Bioinformatics toolboxes are required when using MicrobeMS as a pcode toolbox. A complete 64-bit system consisting of 64-bit hardware, a Windows, or LINUX 64-bit operating system and Matlab 64-bit are highly recommended. For further details please refer also to the section Specification of computer configuration.
- Download and unzip the MicrobeMS toolbox archive pcode-microbems-v0XX.zip (see Downloading MicrobeMS)
- It is recommended to create an additional subdirectory mass in the directory C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\Matlab (Windows) or in the folder /home/YourUserName (LINUX). Copy then all files into the new folder.
- Start Matlab and enter at the command prompt
- where suggested values for FullPathToMass are C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\Matlab\mass (Windows) or /home/YourUserName/mass (LINUX). Of note, addpath does not permanently add FullPathToMass to Matlab's search folders. See below to add FullPathToMass permanently .
- To run MicrobeMS call the file mass.p by typing
- The license file genkey.gen is not included in the pcode installation archive. To register for a free license please send an e-mail with your name and the name of the institution you are working for to the address firstname.lastname@example.org. In return, the license file genkey.gen will be emailed to you.
- Copy the license key into one of the following logfile directories (DiaryDir) of MicrobeMS: C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\Matlab (Windows) or /home/YourUserName (LINUX).
- To add the the MicrobeMS toolbox path permanently in Matlab type
>> edit pathdef;
- at the command prompt. The editor will now load the file pathdef.m. Add a new line with the complete path FullPathToMass to the MicrobeMS pcode toolbox. Store the file, close the editor and restart Matlab to apply the changes made.