MicrobeMS is a Matlab-based application which can be installed in two different versions (with basically the same functionality):
- The stand-alone version requires installation of the MATLAB Compiler Runtime (MCR R2014a 64-bit).
- MicrobeMS as a Matlab pcode toolbox. For this a licensed version of Matlab will be required.
Install MicrobeMS as a stand-alone application (Windows)
MicrobeMS is Matlab based, so please verify that the MATLAB Compiler Runtime (MCR) is installed (MCR R2014a [8.3] Windows, 64-bit version). If the MCR is not installed, download the free Windows 64-bit version of the MCR for R2014a from the MathWorks website by navigating to
NOTE: To run the MCR installer administrator rights may be required. For further details please refer also to the section Specification of computer configuration.
- Login with your Windows user account and download / unzip the MicrobeMS archive microbems.v.0XX.setup.zip (see Downloading MicrobeMS)
- Start microbems.v.0XX.setup.exe and follow the instructions of the installation routine. During setup, you may be asked for the Windows administrator password.
- The license file genkey.gen is not included in the installation package. To register for a free license please send an e-mail with your name and the name of the institution you are working for to the address email@example.com
- In return, the license file genkey.gen will be emailed to you. Copy the license key into the logfile directory of MicrobeMS (version 0.82, DiaryDir, C:\Users\Public\Documents\Matlab). In case of MicrobeMS versions before v. 0.82 the license key must be copied into the HomeDir of MicrobeMS (C:\Program files\MicrobeMS\MicrobeMS, default). Note that in some instances administrator rights may be required.
Installation of MicrobeMS as a Matlab pcode toolbox (Windows / Linux)
Please note that Matlab R2014a, or newer, Matlabs's Statistics and Bioinformatics toolboxes are required when using MicrobeMS as a pcode toolbox. A complete 64-bit system consisting of 64-bit hardware, a Windows, or LINUX 64-bit operating system and Matlab 64-bit are highly recommended. For further details please refer also to the section Specification of computer configuration.
- Download and unzip the MicrobeMS toolbox archive pcode-microbems-v0XX.zip (see Downloading MicrobeMS)
- It is recommended to create an additional subdirectory mass in the directory C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\Matlab (Windows) or in the folder /home/YourUserName (LINUX). Copy then all files into the new folder.
- Start Matlab and enter at the command prompt
- where suggested values for FullPathToMass are C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\Matlab\mass (Windows) or /home/YourUserName/mass (LINUX). Of note, addpath does not permanently add FullPathToMass to Matlab's search folders, so the command must be called after every start of Matlab. See below to add FullPathToMass permanently .
- To run MicrobeMS call the file mass.p by typing
- The license file genkey.gen is not included in the pcode installation archive. To register for a free license please send an e-mail with your name and the name of the institution you are working for to the address firstname.lastname@example.org. In return, the license file genkey.gen will be emailed to you.
- Copy the license key into one of the following logfile directories (DiaryDir) of MicrobeMS: C:\Users\YourUserName\Documents\Matlab (Windows) or /home/YourUserName (LINUX).
- To add the the MicrobeMS toolbox path permanently in Matlab type
>> edit pathdef;
- at the command prompt. The editor will now load the file pathdef.m. Add a new line with the complete path FullPathToMass to the MicrobeMS pcode toolbox. Store pathdef.m, close the editor and restart Matlab to apply the changes made.